How much does an armored truck driver make? Well, on average an armored truck driver can make more than $50,000. However, the salary may vary depending on several aspects such as their experience, the company they are working for, and the location they are operating.
Who is an armored truck driver?
Usually, armored truck drivers drive vehicles that transport valuable goods such as jewelry, data, cash, or gold. An armored truck driver is responsible for the maintenance and cleanliness of the vehicle. He is also required to update any required logs of their deliveries. They are also required to load and unload the cargo. They are also subject to follow the established safety guidelines, obey traffic rules, and follow the assigned routes for their deliveries
Often an armored truck driver’s salary is affected due to the duties they perform as a driver. Unlike other drivers, an armored truck driver is responsible for fulfilling certain duties such as:
- They are subject to logs and reports of all pick-ups and also drop-offs.
- They are required to stay aware of fundamental needs in the industry and keep a watch on suspicious activities at all times. They can call for assistance if they notice any such activity is going on.
- An armored truck driver needs to plan the routes, which can be altered to deter robberies.
- They are also required to research the buildings from where they are picking up the goods before the money is released.
- If any robbery occurs, then the driver remains responsible for protecting him or herself.
Eligibility to become an armored truck driver:
- As an armored truck driver, you need to undergo 8 – 16 hours of on-the-job training following the American Society of Industrial Security.
- They have to obtain a CDL (commercial driver’s license) Class A license if they are hauling goods above 26,000 pounds.
- An armored truck driver must have a clean driving record with no major violations of the rules. As an armored truck driver, you have to undergo an extensive background check. A person having criminal records will not be allowed to enter the field.
- You will be required to carry a firearm at all times. However, this trucking job has some risks attached to it. The drivers need to have sound judgment for emergencies. They are also required to get trained with a firearm. However, the severity of training varies by state. For example, in New York, there is a requirement for all armed security guards, including drivers to undergo 47 hours of firearms training as per the labor department’s standards.
- As an armored truck driver, you must not have any criminal records. You should have good morals. You will have to undergo an extensive background check to ensure you fulfill all these requirements. You are also required to undergo a fingerprint test.
- An armored truck driver must have a driver’s license and have good communication and observation skills. To become an armored truck driver, you are also required to have good health.
- Armored truck drivers work as armed guards because they have to carry valuable items. Hence, they have to obtain licenses that will permit them to carry firearms.
- Applicants for an armored trucking job must be 18 years old or above and they must participate in classroom training programs. They are also required to undergo drug tests to qualify for this job.
- Additionally, an armored truck driver is required to apply for a special police officer certification so that he can make arrests under certain circumstances.
As an armored truck driver, you will get an impressive amount of salary. However, there are risks of robbery and life threats as you are required to carry valuable goods like gold, jewelry, etc. You have to obtain a CDL Class A license along with a permit to carry arms so that you can ensure the safety of the goods you carry. Moreover, you have to obtain a special police permit to arrest the robber if any such circumstances ever occur during transportation.